Terms and Conditions
All potential bidders must establish an account with JSE&A. In order for us to set up your account we will need a copy of your current driver's license or similar document showing your full name and physical address. We will also need your telephone number and email address for contact purposes. Click here to send documentation.
Your bid constitutes a legally binding contract.
By bidding with Jeffrey S. Evans & Associates, Inc. (hereafter JSE&A) either directly or through another online auction provider (e.g. Auction Flex, Invaluable, LiveAuctioneers), you are agreeing to abide by all associated auction terms.
Bidder approval is at the sole discretion of JSE&A.
- The auctioneer reserves the right to reopen bidding on a sold lot (under extreme circumstances only) and is the sole determinant concerning all bid disputes and the final authority in regard to all auction terms and conditions.
- All auction lots sold are subject to the posted buyer's premium.
- Unless exempted by law, all purchases are subject to a 5.3% VA state sales tax (this is also applicable to out-of-state buyers who pick up their purchases in Virginia).
- SALES TAX EXEMPTIONS: Virginia law requires that all dealers must have a valid signed tax exemption certificate on file with us. Out of state dealers must provide a copy of their current exemption certificate.
- TELEPHONE and ABSENTEE BIDDING directly with our auction house is offered as a courtesy. We are not responsible for errors or unexecuted absentee or telephone bids.
- Non-Internet bids: If you do not have Internet access, you may fax, mail, or hand-deliver bids to us and we will enter the bids on your behalf. Non-Internet bids must include the auction date and a signed statement indicating that you accept all terms and conditions of the auction.
- All absentee bids must be in written form. We will not accept verbal absentee bids. Submitted bids that are not commensurate with our standard bid increments will be rounded up to the correct bid increment.
- We welcome international bidders; however, all communications must be in comprehensible English.
- If you accidentally win a lot, you are still liable for payment as we are liable to the consignor.
- Absentee bidders may be in competition with various LIVE bidders. LIVE bidders may include Floor (aka In-House or On-Site) bidders who are bidding in person at our gallery, Internet bidders who are bidding in real time via computer, or telephone bidders who are bidding in real time via telephone. (It is possible that a LIVE bidder could win a lot for the same bid amount you placed prior to the auction--it depends on where that bid increment falls during live bidding on the lot.)
- Absentee bids placed in person at our gallery are accepted at any time prior to the sale of the item. The deadline for all other absentee bids (e.g. mailed/emailed bids, faxed bids, bids placed through Auction Flex/HiBid) is two hours prior to the start of the auction.
- All telephone bids are subject to a minimum opening bid per lot ($250.00 for calls within the USA; $500.00 for international calls). Telephone bids must be arranged by 3:00 pm ET, the day prior to the auction. We may reject requests submitted after our deadline.
- We will notify all successful bidders by email or telephone within two business days of the end of the auction (e.g. by Tuesday following a Saturday sale). Most, if not all, invoices are sent via email on the first business day following an auction. Invoices will include additional instructions. If we do not have email for the winning bidder, we will make contact by telephone.
- Successful bidders are required to contact us to confirm receipt of invoice(s) and make arrangements for payment and shipping/pick up. Deadline for this contact is 5:00 pm ET on the Friday following the auction (if sale was held on Saturday or Sunday) or 5:00 pm ET on the Monday following the auction (if sale was held on a weekday).
- Payment for lot(s) won in person is due on the date of sale before item(s) are removed from our gallery. Payment for lot(s) won as an absentee, telephone, or online bidder bidder is due within 5 days of the auction. Applicable shipping costs are paid separately, after packing is completed.
- Any special payment arrangements must be pre-approved by an authorized representative of JSE&A. Such arrangements must be requested in writing, and authorization must be obtained prior to bidding.
- See all categories under our BUYING webpage for additional auction terms and other important information.
- Once an item is sold to an in-house bidder, the buyer assumes full risk and responsibility for said item.
- Each returned check is subject to a $50.00 service charge.
- Accounts that are unpaid after 25 days of the sale date will be subject to a 2% monthly finance charge; administrative fees may also apply.
- The buyer is liable for all fees/costs associated with the collection of balances due, including attorney's fees.
- Unless prior arrangements have been made with us, any merchandise not removed within two weeks of the sale date will be subject to a storage fee. Any merchandise not removed within 60 days of the sale date will be considered abandoned and becomes the property of JSE&A.
- REFUNDS are given at the sole discretion of the auctioneer and are only considered on lots that have major damage or significant restorations/repairs that was not previously outlined in the condition report and on lots for which authenticity cannot be validated. Additionally:
- Lots catalogued without circa dates are not guaranteed as to age.
- All rugs are sold strictly "as is" with no guarantees as to age, origin or condition. Absolutely no refunds will be considered on rugs.
- Refunds in regard to condition for items purchased in person at the gallery must be requested before those items are removed from the gallery.
- All refund requests, including substantiating documentation and/or photographs, must be received in our office within 25 days of the sale.
- Refund requests in regard to authenticity must also include at least one supporting written and signed statement from an authority recognized by the auctioneer.
- Note: Your timeliness and type of payment directly affect the time allowed for a refund transaction. (If payment is made with uncertified check, items may be held for up to 10 business days before we ship or release for pick up.)
- Absolutely no refunds will be made after 25 days of the sale date.
- Do not return any item until a refund authorization has been obtained from JSE&A. Once a refund is approved and the complete lot is returned to the satisfaction of the auctioneer, a full refund of the hammer price and buyer's premium will be issued. We do not refund shipping cost and we do not offer partial refunds.
- Additional conditions of sale may apply, as noted on our website and/or as announced by the auctioneer prior to the auction.
- These terms and conditions, as well as the respective rights and obligations hereunder, shall be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The purchaser shall be deemed to have consented to the jurisdiction of the state courts of, and the federal courts sitting in, the Commonwealth of Virginia.